NEW DELHI - India on Tuesday joined the elite group of countries including USA, China and Japan to build the largest telescope in the world.
a function held here late this evening in the presence of Union Science and Technology Minister and senior officials of the Department of Science and Technology and Atomic Energy and representatives of the Embassies of China, USA and Japan. Canada is the fifth country which is expected to sign the agreement soon. On its part, India will contribute 30 percent of the amount to the total pool of constructing infrastructure facilities like the access road and buildings while 70 percent will be used in providing high quality sensors and actuators. Of the Rs 1,300 crore, which India intends to contribute for the project, the S&T will contribute 52 per cent while the DAE will shell out the remaining 48 percent.