Legendary cartoonist Laxman made a rare appearance with his wife. Khan, who arrived with his wife and son Amaan, said he was happy to have contributed for a social cause. The autographed sarod that went under the hammer at the event was used by him during 1990-2013. It fetched Rs 16 lakh in the auction. Mallika Advani conducted the auction taking every bidder through each lot with Rahul narrating a special story associated with each of the memorabilia.
One of the most outstanding moments of the evening was Akhtar bidding for and becoming the lucky owner of Laxman's piece - Hand Drawn Originals- 'Six Decades of The Common man'.
The main proceedings of the auction were followed by an informative audio visual of the incredible work done by The Foundation for children across the country from Andamans, Kashmir and now Manipur. The auction collectively raised Rs 1.74 crore in support of The Foundation. The pieces that were up for auction this year were:
1. Javed Akhtar - Hand-written poems: Muztar Khairabadi, Jan Nisar Akhtar, Javed Akhtar, Zoya and Farhan Akhtar.
2. Shabana Azmi - Gold Medal-- 'Best Student in Acting', FTII, 1973
3. Abhinav Bindra - Olympic gold medal winning rifle, Beijing, 2008
4. Charles Correa - Kanchenjunga--Section, Elevation, Perspective 1973-82
5. Amitav Ghosh - 'The Hungry Tide' Collaboration: Amitav Ghosh (Handwritten Passages) Dayanita Singh (Photograph)
6. Subodh Gupta - Special piece of art created especially for The Foundation and 'The idea of India'.
7. Zakir Hussain - Tablas: Ustad Allah Rakha Ustad Zakir Hussain
8. Ustad Amjad Ali Khan - Autographed Sarod (1990-2013)
9. Aamir Khan - Autographed Bundi 'Lagaan' (2001)
10. R K Laxman - Hand-drwn originals 'Six decades of the common man'.
11. Zubin Mehta - Autographed Baton
12. Leander Paes - Autographed Racquet Grand Slam No. 14, US Open 2013
13. Raghu Rai - Mother Teresa in Prayer, Kolkata, 1995, Edition 7/10 Baby Donkey, Haryana, 1965, Edition 2/10
14. Amartya Sen - 'The Argumentative Indian'--Annotated Speech autographed edition--'Identity and Violence'.
15. Vikram Seth - Handwritten Sonnets 1.1 & 13.52 : 'The Golden Gate' -autographed edition.
16. Dayanita Singh - In conversation DSAGRB 2013
Bose's NGO 'The Foundation' aims at bridging existing geographical, social and psychological schisms in India through interventions involving sensitive social engineering designed to create both quantifiable impact as well as attitudinal changes within society at large. The NGO travels to India's furthest outposts like The Andamans & Nicobar Islands, Manipur, Jammu & Kashmir and offers 15 year scholarships to six children from each region starting from Grade 6 upto employability. (PTI)