"With yet another avalanche in the same region and tragedy faced by the Sherpa community, there is no mood among the local guides and other technical men to continue the expeditions," Ang Kaji Sherpa, president of the Nepal Mountaineering Association (NMA), the umbrella organization for people involved in mountaineering activities, said Monday. Professional organizations, including NMA, said more than 175 guides, technical men and climbers have already returned from the base camp.
Nepal tourism ministry's records show that Everest expeditions were last closed down in 1987 and that was because of bad weather. The ministry has so far not made any formal decision in this regard. The government has also extended the expedition permission by five years which means that those reluctant to scale Everest this year can climb the highest peak any time within the coming five years while they were also allowed to scale other mountains in the country by getting approval from the ministry.
In all, 335 mountaineers from 41 countries had received approval from the tourism ministry to scale Everest this spring by paying royalty to the Nepali government. (IANS)